Studies have shown that of all motor vehicle deaths documented in Houston, 12 % of these are pedestrian deaths, a majority of which are seniors and male. Apart from fatalities, automobile accidents can cause trauma and inflict permanent injuries on pedestrians. It is important to contact a Houston pedestrian accident lawyer immediately after sustaining injuries in a pedestrian accident due to a driver’s negligence.
Some of the most common ways a pedestrian in Houston can sustain injuries include:
- A pedestrian hit by a drunk driver
- A pedestrian hit by a driver who runs a stop sign or traffic light,
- A pedestrian hit by a driver at an intersection or crosswalk,
- A pedestrian hit by a reversing driver,
- A pedestrian hit by a turning driver,
- A pedestrian hit by a driver who is distracted,
- A pedestrian hit by a driver who was using his cell phone
- A pedestrian hit by a driver at a parking lot.
A majority of pedestrian accidents happen in urban areas where many people are walking and running on major roads, interstates, and freeways, especially in the evening. Most injuries are as a result of a pedestrian being hit by the front bumper of the vehicle. Pedestrian injuries caused by large motor vehicles such as a truck or van will be more severe and catastrophic. Some of the common pedestrian injuries include:
- Dislocated, broken, crushed or fractured bones,
- Head trauma,
- Brain injuries,
- Herniated discs
- Spinal cord injuries,
- Severed limbs and amputations, and
- Paraplegia or quadriplegia.
What a Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Will Do for You
Though a victim of a pedestrian accident may recover, some of the injuries may be completely life-changing. Some may even be fatal. An experienced Houston pedestrian accident lawyer can assist injured pedestrian or relatives of a pedestrian killed by a negligent, careless driver seek compensation for their damages. It is important to seek the services of personal injury lawyer in filing your claim for the following reasons:
- An experienced personal injury lawyer knows the true value of the damages. Both economic and non-economic, that should be included in the case to ensure that you receive a reasonable settlement.
- A legal advocate will protect your legal rights against exploitation by the insurance company that might not have your best interests at heart.
- A pedestrian lawyer will help you deal with insurance adjusters who employ tactics to make you act in ways that can damage your case.
- A lawyer can identify all parties that should be held liable for your damages and additional insurance covers, some of which may not be known to you, to make a larger recovery for you.
- A lawyer known for his legal insight and willingness to settle matters in the court will help you speed up your compensation since the insurance company will be wary of him and may want to avoid an uncertain court verdict.